For sale - TradeMe???

Irrational behaviour and incomprehensible decisions 101 - this is the place. If they're really silly, you could win a chocolate fish.* (* Highly unlikely and they're only virtual chocolate fish)

digidog
Site Admin
First Name: Alfie

For sale - TradeMe???

Post by digidog » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:11 am

There's a fair bit of speculation that Fairfax might be looking to sell off 50% of TM. I guess they could
even sell shares on the site to the highest bidder.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/industr ... he-shelves" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/busines ... 6042212893" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ionet
Members

Re: For sale - TradeMe???

Post by ionet » Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:09 pm

_

Selling them onsite ?

Aren't there rules about offering securities to the public ?

there appear to be when others try to sell shares on TM

(unless trying to sell WeBuy Worthless Weebits was just plain indigestible)

;-)

M
Ultimate Auction Security: Kick 'em in the pants & sweep them under the carpet fast before anyone sees & hope they go away.

digidog
Site Admin

Post by digidog » Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:18 am

I had my tongue firmly in my cheek when I suggested that.
;-)

digidog
Site Admin

Post by digidog » Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:20 am

Analyst Fraser McLeish of Royal Bank of Scotland sparked speculation last week by issuing
a report suggesting Fairfax float half of Trade Me through an initial public offering to raise
the trans-Tasman group's share price.

His advice was based on a calculation in which a 50 per cent stake in Trade Me would raise
up to A$600 million (NZ$803m), with the proceeds helping Fairfax fund a 10 per cent share
buyback, reduce net debt by A$290m to A$1.2 billion and pay a higher dividend.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/industr ... f-Trade-Me" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Let me get this right. Fairfax paid around $700m for TM, a figure that many of us thought
was excessive at the time. While the company has continued to make strong profits since
then, they haven't set the world on fire. So how could a 50% share now be worth $600m? The
numbers don't stack up for me.

I can see that floating TM would attract a lot of mum and dad investors who might be keen
to own a small share of their favourite auction site, but at any price?

angry
Members

Re:

Post by angry » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:49 am

http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/industr ... f-Trade-Me
Let me get this right. Fairfax paid around $700m for TM, a figure that many of us thought
was excessive at the time. While the company has continued to make strong profits since
then, they haven't set the world on fire. So how could a 50% share now be worth $600m? The
numbers don't stack up for me.

just fairfax trying to extract a large chunk of fat from a lemon :smt102
:smt065

dobby
Members
First Name: Dobby

Re: Re:

Post by dobby » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:09 am

angry wrote:just fairfax trying to extract a large chunk of fat from a lemon :smt102
I know I shouldn't ask ... I should just sit on my hands ... I really should ... but:

In what way is TM a lemon? It's performed strongly, shown continued growth despite a worldwide recession,
generated a fairly decent return on investment for Fairfax and is possibly generating significantly more
revenue than it was in 2006 when it was sold.

I don't believe that a half share is now worth $600M - that's probably media spin - but a lemon? Seriously?
Idealism increases in direct proportion to your distance from the problem.

angry
Members

Re: Re:

Post by angry » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:40 am

dobby wrote:
angry wrote:just fairfax trying to extract a large chunk of fat from a lemon :smt102

I don't believe that a half share is now worth $600M - that's probably media spin - but a lemon? Seriously?
it still maintains market dominance AT THE MOMENT, which is why faifax want out now. \:D/

it is merly a matter of time untill the lemon looses market dominance, then it will be worthless lemon, faifax know this.

Hence the attempt to sell now at an exorbitant price. :idea:

once the sale terms are met dump the remaining shareholding and walk away. :grin:

there is talk of a large parcel being made available to mum and dad investors, has nobody learnt anything from the feltex debacled. [-X

digidog
Site Admin

Post by digidog » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:39 am

I'll look forward to Dobby's considered response to your post.

angry
Members

Re:

Post by angry » Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:22 am

digidog wrote:I'll look forward to Dobby's considered response to your post.
Anybody who has watched the local stock market in the last 30 + years will have observed that only lemons have a large volume of shares available to small investors. Feltex ect. :-)

Know you history and learn from it or learn by repeating it. Most Kiwis dont do much history [-X

digidog
Site Admin

Post by digidog » Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:25 pm

FAIRFAX Media is conducting a strategic review of its New Zealand auction website Trade Me in
another sign management is keen to act swiftly to assuage investor concerns about the
company's flagging share price.

It is believed Fairfax has engaged investment bank UBS to consider a broad range of strategic
options involving Trade Me that could potentially lead to the partial float of the digital business.

While the review of Trade Me is said to be far less advanced than recently announced plans to
sell off Fairfax's radio division, sources close to the process said chief executive Greg Hywood
was exploring "all options".

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/busines ... 6069754022" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Googlybear
Members

Post by Googlybear » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:28 am

1 - Would it be safe to presume that Telecom would be keeping an eye on this.
2 - Would there be many people who think thats a good thing :?

ionet
Members

Post by ionet » Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:04 pm

Googlybear wrote:1 - Would it be safe to presume that Telecom would be keeping an eye on this.
2 - Would there be many people who think thats a good thing :?

No there are apparently two half lemons in the process of being hatched out of the incubator ;-)

It's only taken almost a decade for the hatching process to evolve, so the eyes might be busy elsewhere ;-)
Ultimate Auction Security: Kick 'em in the pants & sweep them under the carpet fast before anyone sees & hope they go away.

ionet
Members

Re:

Post by ionet » Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:09 pm

digidog wrote:
FAIRFAX Media is conducting a strategic review of its New Zealand auction website Trade Me in
another sign management is keen to act swiftly to assuage investor concerns about the
company's flagging share price.

It is believed Fairfax has engaged investment bank UBS to consider a broad range of strategic
options involving Trade Me that could potentially lead to the partial float of the digital business.

While the review of Trade Me is said to be far less advanced than recently announced plans to
sell off Fairfax's radio division, sources close to the process said chief executive Greg Hywood
was exploring "all options".

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/busines ... 6069754022" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The shareholders cant be too impressed again .. would they accept a bucketful of TM shares and go away instead ? ;-)

Perhaps the Weebit King from down south might be able to offer some assistance at a price ? ;-)

M

angry
Members

Re:

Post by angry » Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:31 am

digidog wrote:
FAIRFAX Mediae.

UBS the ONLY Swiss bank to get stung in the american subprime disasters.. :-k

Not exactly a great recomendation for a balanced and unbiased report :smt064

dobby
Members
First Name: Dobby

Post by dobby » Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:22 am

Googlybear wrote:1 - Would it be safe to presume that Telecom would be keeping an eye on this.
They could rename it "FerritMe" ;-)
Idealism increases in direct proportion to your distance from the problem.