The World Is their Oyster - TM seeks overseas sellers

Irrational behaviour and incomprehensible decisions 101 - this is the place. If they're really silly, you could win a chocolate fish.* (* Highly unlikely and they're only virtual chocolate fish)

Foggyone
Site Admin
First Name: Peter

The World Is their Oyster - TM seeks overseas sellers

Post by Foggyone » Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:52 am

Trade Me to test Australian retailers
Trade Me, the online auction site controlled by Fairfax Media, will test Australian retailers’ appetite for online sales into New Zealand after signing an agreement with e-commerce software company ChannelAdvisor.

The deal will enable online retailers from around the world to list products on Trade Me in time for Christmas.
Does this mean a relaxation of the Anzac rule, or will the goods have to come via Australia? It's certain they are moving ever further from their mom and pop roots to being just another ebay type sales venue for big business.
Google, the answer to so many questions!
-----------------------------------------------------

digidog
Site Admin
First Name: Alfie

Post by digidog » Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:40 am

Just what we need... more dropshipped tacky goods.
The deal will enable online retailers from around the world to list products on Trade Me in time for Christmas.
Does this include goods from China? And what are the legal ramifications if goods are not delivered? Will TM
imdemnify the buyers perhaps? And how will payments to overseas sellers be made?

You're right Foggyone. TM are moving further away from their core market - this move suggests that they'd like to
occupy the space once claimed (but never occupied) by Telecom's ill-fated Ferrit project.

digidog
Site Admin

Post by digidog » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:37 pm

The Retailers Association has pointed out a loophole in TradeMe's global plans. Overseas retailers won't have to charge
GST on their goods, effectively disadvantaging local stores.

Or will local buyers get hit with GST when the goods are dropshipped into NZ?

http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/industr ... -skips-GST" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ionet
Members

Re: The World Is their Oyster - TM seeks overseas sellers

Post by ionet » Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:33 am

_

Call it a notional fuse which if ignited may well see a GST content applied & more beady eyes looking
at the further exodus of offshore plunder arriving here with ears up ;-)

Let's see what the Revenue boys think about this & whether they may wish to extract their pound of
flesh from the job :shock:

And who is likely to be on the receiving end of the extra cost ? ;-)

Are they not many of the same lot who are likely to be disadvantaged by TM looking to expand it's grip
to retail by encouraging even more offshore plunder that in the end will only cause the most industrious
of sellers & importers selling on their own site to look sideways or give up with hands in the air
crying "too hard" ? ;-)

So going public apparently means forgetting the roots of where the site started, who actually
helped to grow the concept and their interests in favouring more of the big dollar ;-)

A very nice stance to take which is bound to make many a member start wondering where
TM is going or whether having spiked many of their membership they want a further bar
of the almighty dollar spinning exercise ;-)

Surely there are better avenues for generating extra revenue in a nice acceptable way
without bastardising a fair portion of the loyal membership and their activities ? ;-)

Even a blind stunned fieldmouse could probably come up with other improvements which
could contribute to revenue in an acceptable way without giving the market a huge kingshot
for more get rich quick, and at least maintain all the existing member base happily ;-)

The other sites have a considerable opportunity if they opened their eyes to what lay ahead
with the apparent proposed direction of the incumbent to retail affinities in the market ;-)

Frequently it is said there isn't the money in retail - see if the majority of retailers are smiling
or doing well. Will they be smiling any more with this development ?

Already there are none too frequent screams of listings being engulfed in hoards of dealer
merchandise and this will only add to the complaints

If people want retail, they usually either go to the retail outlet in person, visit the retailers
site or buy from their promotional material or catalogue. Is there actually a large gap in the
market for TM style Retail add-ons in hard times which are all too evident out there ? ;-)

What were bods in the Glass Towers thinking ? ;-)

A trial exercise in selling Fairfax Newspaper subs via TM could well give good indication of
the true state of the market and just how well other endeavours could go ;-)

M
Ultimate Auction Security: Kick 'em in the pants & sweep them under the carpet fast before anyone sees & hope they go away.

marika3
Scambuster

Post by marika3 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:40 pm

eBay took this avenue few years ago. They also started as marketplace for mums and dads and in attempt to get more revenue focussed on retailes and made trading for mums and dads almost impossible. People went to trade on other sites in numbers, and eBay became mostly retail place flooded with goods from Asia. This is no longer a place to sell your unwanted junk, and not a place to find second-hand bargains, it's now huge $2 shop...
Out of curiosity, I compared category of Beds in Home and Living on eBay and TM:
Total items -- Brand new -- Used -- %% used
eBay - 6165 -- 5512 -- 653 -- 10.59%
TM - 4362 -- 1516 -- 2847 -- 65.26%

Similar situation in all categories where new and used goods can compete (ie except collectables, stamps, antiques etc).

If TM decided to follow eBay, we will see similar results in 2-3 years, or sooner.

In my opinion, major attraction of auction sites for people is secondhand goods, ability to sell own junk and search for junk of others. Floodng categories with retail stuff may be profitable for site owners, but in the long run it will reduce fun for users and make site less popular.

BTW, I do have account on eBay, but use it now only to buy items from known to me sellers from China, Hong Kong and UK. That's it - log in, buy what I need, log off. Used to be fun some years ago, with browsing and forums. Not any longer...
http://www.oneway.co.nz/member/marika3

Googlybear
Members

Post by Googlybear » Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:36 am

Here it comes already

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing ... =651523412" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Seller location: United Kingdom

marika3
Scambuster

Post by marika3 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:43 pm

This is either very funny or very sad.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Members/Listin ... er=5013589" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Seller from Canada, with almost 25K listings.

Some prices (well, most of them) are just plain crazy:
http://www.trademe.co.nz/crafts/knittin ... 752691.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
$1,328.57 for pair of tea towels.

All listings contain this note:
Note: Electrically Powered Items Sold By Stuff4 Will Need An Adapter For Use In New Zealand
The only feedback is for listing withdrawn by TM
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Members/Feedba ... er=5013589" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Are we still on planet TradeMe or it's already another universe?

Googlybear
Members

Post by Googlybear » Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:31 am

i have yet to see a competent overseas seller that is selling a high volume of goods
Most have thousands of listings but only selling 1 or 2 items a day.

Here`s another useless crowd that are drop-shipping from various different countries

globaloutlet
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Members/Feedba ... er=5127933
31 positive feedbacks. 29 are from individual members, and count towards the final rating.
10 neutral feedbacks.
2 negative feedbacks. 2 are from individual members, and count towards the final rating.

digidog
Site Admin

Post by digidog » Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:47 pm

That lot have 2916 current listings - and not even one has a bid.

I note they give their location as "Manakau City" which would lead buyers to expect local delivery.

marika3
Scambuster

Post by marika3 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:59 am

marika3 wrote:Out of curiosity, I compared category of Beds in Home and Living on eBay and TM:
eBay - 6165 -- 5512 -- 653 -- 10.59%
TM - 4362 -- 1516 -- 2847 -- 65.26%
Two and a half years later, same category:

TM - 5440 -- 2745 -- 2695 -- 49.5%

Googlybear
Members

Post by Googlybear » Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:42 am

TM Still is allowing globaloutlet to dropship
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing ... =853384074
97.1% positive feedback
Apparently this is permitted so long as you place a small disclaimer at the very bottom of your auction description where many buyers will not read it
Note:
This item is an authentic parallel-import and items will be shipped from our supplier's warehouse and may take 1 to 2 days processing after payment confirmation. Parcel will be sent out by International Registered Post Courier Service with tracking and may take 7~15 working days for delivery.
they have been trading for nine months listing close to 25,000 items per month giving a total of nearly a quarter of a million listings.
yet their feedback count stands at around 650.

This gives the impression that TM must also be waiving the High Volume listing fee that the rest of us incur otherwise the listing fees alone would be over five times their monthly sales turnover :?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Members/Feedba ... er=5127933
Over 20 days waiting. The item just revived midday with damage packaging. Email them just let me call the courier. I didn't bought thing through them man. And they put wrong delivery address on first time delivering . Dont recommend deal with this guys

Ordered my item over three weeks ago and still no sign of it? Not happy.
payed for via credit card instantly . 20 days ago still has not come . this trader does not have any stock and orders from china after payment. i could of brought my product off banggood for $49 nz ship'd and it would off been here faster
Been 8 days and still haven't received speaker very disappointing wudnt recommend buyn threw these guys
The biggest question is why would any trader want to buy of a Chinese goods drop-shipper when you can simply go to the same `wholesale` sites they source there goods from and buy the item directly.

The auction above that was is listed with a $28.95 buy now + $8 Shipping is only US $11.04 with free shipping on aliexpress
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Waterpro ... 40896.html

Googlybear
Members

Post by Googlybear » Tue May 26, 2015 7:35 pm

The ever expanding rate of clutter by Overseas sellers is getting ridiculous.

watchwarehouse
http://www.trademe.co.nz/stores/watchwarehouse

1724 Active listings and the Feedback page stating over 10,000 listings in the last 2 months.

Approximate Sales in the last two months (by counting FB left) : TEN

10,000 listings divided by 10 sales equals a 0.1% sell-through rate,
One sale for every thousand listings.

meanwhile us TM veterans are required to maintain a one in twenty sell-through rate before we are whacked with high volume fees