winning prizes from HongKong

Whether it's 419 scammers or Romanian gangsters, this is the forum to post your baiting exploits and trophies.
siang
Members
First Name: siang

winning prizes from HongKong

Post by siang » Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:24 am

HI all,
I've just recieve a call from Hong Kong, saying that I won a car that can be converted to cash. They want my account no. Should I give them? Will there be any risk if I do so?

digidog
Site Admin
First Name: Alfie

Post by digidog » Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:33 am

Hi Siang and welcome to ScamBusters.

Firstly, did you enter any lottery or competition? Probably not. You'll find that this
is an advance fraud fee scam, a bit like the classic Nigerian ones. Before they process
your "payment" you'll be asked to pay a fee for administration or customs clearance or
something similar. Once you've paid that they'll keep trying to milk you for other small
amounts until you realise that there was no prize, no car and no big payout.

By all means string them along for a while. Provide a false bank account number and
see what they do next. You might also ask them for confirmation of their existence,
either their website or news stories about the lottery.

Do let us know what happens next.

siang
Members
First Name: siang

Re: winning prizes from HongKong

Post by siang » Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:22 am

Ah, just as I suspect. My surprise on this one is, they know my full name and my mobile no which is odd. I had a middle name that I dont use, unless on official forms and documents and my mobile number ..... I initially intend to open a new bank account to be forwarded to them. Not too sure if they do have a website coz they can only speak Mandarin which I can't understand but my my wife can. She is the one that talk to them all the time but they did leave their contact no for me to call them tomorrow to give them my a/c no and a company name as well I think .... I need to ask my wife on that when she come home, lol.

I'd another one that's more obvious, just recently. This one saw my trademe ad for the sale of a puppy. He say he's from offshore (UK) and interested in buying it. He asked for my paypal account so he can transfer the money over. After I gave him my paypal add, he sent me an email saying he's already sent the amount of what I want PLUS the shipping cost of his agent. I'm suppose to transfer money over to his shipping agent with Western Union before Paypal'd release the money to me. In between there is quite a few mail from PayPal, stating of the paid amount and the condition of releasing the fund over (paying the shipping agent). It then became obvious and I am sure that the mail from Paypal is bogus, so I sent him a warning that I'd report him if he keep on trying.
Some detail of it is posted here ..... http://www.parkflyers.org.nz/modules/ne ... mpost24042" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;