*Ring* *Ring* Windows Support Calling

Whether it's 419 scammers or Romanian gangsters, this is the forum to post your baiting exploits and trophies.
dobby
Members
First Name: Dobby

*Ring* *Ring* Windows Support Calling

Post by dobby » Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:29 am

Just had a call showing on my caller ID as "91618". Woman with an Asian accent advising me that my computer
has multiple infections.

Apparently she works for a company that does Windows support, and these multiple infections were picked up
via my IP address, which she can't tell me over an open phone line or she'll get fired.

I asked her dozens of questions about where the virus came from, what does it do, how do they get the information
etc. etc. and I made her repeat everything twice because I was 'hard of hearing'. Some things she had to spell.

I told her that my computer was v-e-r-y slow, so she'd need to be patient. She told me it was because of the virus.

Then, I asked her to 'hold' because I had to go downstairs and reset my wireless internet router. So the little girl waited ...
while I made myself a cup of tea.

Then she 'walked' me through all these screen options that would 'show' me how many red and yellow alerts I had. I told
her there were heaps! She asked me to type in a web address, but ooops in the middle of it my computer crashed, and
I had to reboot it. Dratted virus. So the little girl waited ... again.

After another 5 minutes, when my computer had 'rebooted' she took me through the website address again, and I mentioned
that a Windows pop up box had loaded, with a message on it, and it wouldn't close.

After another few minutes of conversation, I convinced her to let me read her what was in the message box, so that she
could help me decide what to do. She agreed. So I read her the message:
"You need to get an honest job that doesn't involve trying to scam people that their computer is infected so that you can
load your own virus and steal their information."
She asked me if it was for real. I said that it was, and that she must be mad to think that anyone would fall for such
a low level scam, but that at least while she was wasting her time talking to me she wasn't scamming somebody else.

She hung up. Funny that. But I managed to keep her on the phone for 26 minutes all up. I could have kept going, but I
was getting a bit bored by then.

Scammers. At Christmas. How rude. :**
Idealism increases in direct proportion to your distance from the problem.

Foggyone
Site Admin
First Name: Peter

Re: *Ring* *Ring* Windows Support Calling

Post by Foggyone » Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:35 am

I had my call a couple of days ago. Woke me out of a deep sleep (us older folks from farming stock go to bed early). As soon as he (Indian??) started I swore down the phone and told him graphically where to go. Quite shocked the missus.

They haven't called back. Anyway, would my Linux computer catch a Windows virus?
Google, the answer to so many questions!
-----------------------------------------------------

marika3
Scambuster

Post by marika3 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:24 pm

I had my call from an Indian girl a few days ago too.
She even managed to say "Computer" and "Company", but did not get a chance with anything else.
My phone is private unlisted number which is known to very few people, and I go mad immideately after picking up a call from telemarketers. As soon as I realise this is not a friend or "wrong number" call, I start from "Where did you get my number from?" and finish with hung up few minutes later without them saying a word. :lol:
http://www.oneway.co.nz/member/marika3

dobby
Members
First Name: Dobby

Post by dobby » Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:15 pm

I normally wouldn't bother with them either, but it was cheap entertainment for a Thursday night. ;-)

The kids realised it was a scam, and couldn't stop laughing, offering helpful advice like "Scream, and
tell her your computer just blew up!" If nothing else, it was a good educational opportunity for them
on the ever present dangers of the internet.
Idealism increases in direct proportion to your distance from the problem.

digidog
Site Admin
First Name: Alfie

Be

Post by digidog » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:14 pm

Beautifully handled, Dobby. If only more potential victims were as alert
to these scams. The fact that both you and Foggy have received these
calls in the same week indicates that there's a virtual call centre some-
where driving this scam.

digidog
Site Admin

Post by digidog » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:01 pm

A good friend of ours received one of these calls yesterday. Luckily he's computer savvy
and realised quickly that this was a scam. The Indian sounding man on the other end of
the line was very insistent that our friend's PC has "a problem". When asked which
company he worked for he said "Online support" and maintained he was in Auckland.

The scammer may have been using Skype as there were apparently long lags in the
conversation. Our friend turned the scam around by saying "There's nothing wrong
with my computer but you have a problem with your phone line." The scammer rang
off soon after.

The ODT has a story on this scam which suggests that the fraudsters are working their
way through phone books.
Dunedin police continue to receive reports of uninvited calls from computer "fixers"
from overseas, asking to gain remote access to call recipients' computers.

Senior Sergeant Craig Brown said some people had been contacted several times, and
others had reported that callers were getting more aggressive.

It appeared the callers were working their way through the phone book.

http://www.odt.co.nz/news/dunedin/14381 ... e-listings" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

chessman1
Members

Post by chessman1 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:50 am

I work in IT and still waiting for a call, nothing so far. Got a vm ready to go.

Foggyone
Site Admin
First Name: Peter

Post by Foggyone » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:04 pm

I had another of these yesterday. Before "the call" there was a call about a half hour prior where nobody appeared to be on the line. I guess they have an auto dialler set up to check if someone is home so as not to waste the time of their "expert".

A very indian sounding person on the line (the second call) who gave me the usual spiel about my computer spewing spam etc according to their info, and he could help me. After several minutes (I didn't have all day to waste) he finally asked me what OS I had. Lost interest very rapidly when I advised him I use Linux (I dual boot with Linux as my main OS, and M$ XP Home). Obviously their systems are not set up to crack Linux boxes, even if the root password was forthcoming (it wasn't)!

I'm sure your turn will come, chessman1. But you will need to be listed in the white pages to get called. They knew my name, and this is the obvious source.
Google, the answer to so many questions!
-----------------------------------------------------

digidog
Site Admin

Post by digidog » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:21 am

At a time when our government has announced that they'll make it easier for Indian technology companies to
operate in NZ, it's no surprise to learn that this Indian-based phone scam is racking up millions of dollars from
gullible kiwis. Of course the Indian High Commission has no comment to make on the issue.
A phone fraud of epidemic proportions the Consumer Affairs Ministry believes has sucked in 50,000 New
Zealanders and cost up to $10 million is a result of parts of the US$47 billion Indian technology outsourcing
industry having gone rancid.

The scams are being run from call centres in India by companies posing on the web as legitimate technology
support businesses, that appear to be operating with impunity.
The Guardian said British frauds, identical to those targeting consumers in New Zealand, Australia and Canada,
were being run from call centres in Kota – a city in northern India with a population of just over 1 million – by a
man who was routing the proceeds through India's Axis Bank.
The fraudsters are understood to be renting phone numbers from Skype in order to make cheap internet calls to victims,
but van den Heuvel [head of New Zealand's National Cyber Crime Centre] assumed they would be doing so using stolen
credit cards.

Internet users in Canada named a company, 24sevensupportpc.com, which ostensibly sells security software, and a
manager, Jagjit Rekhi, who they believed to be behind the frauds in Canada. 24sevensupportpc.com's website is
registered to Rekhi at an address in Kolkata (Calcutta).

Calls to the contact number on the website – which was shut down on Thursday – were answered by a fluent English
speaker who said he was working for a different computer support company, Premium PC Support, in Delhi. He denied
knowledge of the scam and said he did not know Rekhi. He told The Dominion Post the software firm appeared to be
using his company's phone number without its permission and he would "look into it".

The Guardian reported that Britain's Metropolitan police had closed down 19 websites advertising remote computer
support after complaints, but that they were popping up "like mushrooms".
http://www.stuff.co.nz/technology/digit ... legitimacy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

digidog
Site Admin

Post by digidog » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:43 pm

While these tech support scams are serious and find thousands of victims, there's always a few folk who enjoy teasing the
scammers and wating their time. Here's one cute opening gambit.
Him: Your computer has the malware and viruses
Me: Oh no, it sounds serious. Like an infection?
Him: Yes, infected very bad
Me: You know, now that you say it -- i can *smell* the infection ...it's bad.
Me: Can you hold on a second?
Him: sure
Me: Ok, I just got a knife, saw and some pliers.
Him: a what?
Me: Well, i can't take the smell any longer. I figured we need to operate. What piece do I need to cut off?
Him: we don't need to cut anything
Me: but, you said it's infected.
And here's some good stories about computer-savvy people winding up the "You have a virus" scammers.

Keeping them on the line for two hours:
http://arstechnica.com/features/2012/10 ... t-scammer/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The scammers call the wrong person:
http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2012 ... -technica/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

FTC busts six companies behind the scams:
http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2012 ... -the-feds/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;