reganzayn/popeye01 - fraudulent lost in post claims

Current listings & scams on TradeMe - please post cases of fee avoidance or breach of TM rules (contact details) in the "minor transgressions" area - try to stick to the subject and feel free to start a new thread if appropriate.
pixeldust
Members

reganzayn/popeye01 - fraudulent lost in post claims

Post by pixeldust » Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:05 am

I have it on good authority that this trader, variously calling herself Kim/Kym Mansell, also using the same Sarah Thompson, and trading under the names reganzayn, popeye01 and formerlly Benson25, has been ripping both traders and NZ Post off to the tune of thousands.

dobby
Members
First Name: Dobby

Re: reganzayn/popeye01 - fraudulent lost in post claims

Post by dobby » Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:41 am

Hi pixeldust, and welcome to ScamBusters.
pixeldust wrote:I have it on good authority that this trader, variously calling herself Kim/Kym Mansell, also using the same Sarah Thompson, and trading under the names reganzayn, popeye01 and formerlly Benson25, has been ripping both traders and NZ Post off to the tune of thousands.
Could you provide some more information about this please?

Here's the feedback links for the traders mentioned:

reganzayn (1617)
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Members/Feedba ... ber=211705
Name: kym
Suburb: Franklin
About Me: I have 3 gorgous kids Jordan who is 7 and Regan who is 5 and Hunter who is 5 1/2 months old.
popeye01 (260)
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Members/Feedba ... er=1743617
Name: anthony
Suburb: Franklin
Member benson25 has been disabled.
Idealism increases in direct proportion to your distance from the problem.

ionet
Members

Post by ionet » Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:18 am

_

Feedback reports for each of the 2 live accounts over past 12 months certainly dont record anything of significance to substantiate such claims, which one might expect they may if this was occurring :shock:
under the names reganzayn, popeye01 and formerlly Benson25 has been ripping both traders and NZ Post off to the tune of thousands.

Not even Google could find any trace of the third disabled Benson25 account :?

M
Ultimate Auction Security: Kick 'em in the pants & sweep them under the carpet fast before anyone sees & hope they go away.

Frangipani
Members

Post by Frangipani » Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:49 am

The trader mentioned above came into another online community (looks much like this but with a slightly different focus ;-) ), posted for a month or so, bought and sold things (there is a classifieds section - people can trade, though at their own risk), then one day posted she was having a clearout of children's clothes. Nothing unusual for that forum. Nine or ten people arranged to purchase things from her, I was one. I didn't give her any money till I'd asked a few more well known people in private messages whether their trades with her had gone ok, and also obtained her address, just as a matter of being careful, though of course I was still buying at my own risk. Just didn't think I was trading with a fraudster at all.

So nine or ten of us paid her, and nothing turned up. I questioned her and after dodging things a bit she offered to set up a postal claim. In the meantime I checked the photobucket account the clothing pictures were hosted on and found the pictures were taken in 2005, 2006 and 2007. By this time people who knew of this trader at TradeMe gave me her known live accounts (popeye01 is in her partner's name but used by her, she sells with one account and buys with the other). I looked up feedback on her accounts and found the clothes I had been sold had actually been sold on Trademe back on the dates the pictures were taken (a week later). So months or years ago. And in the meantime, this person has stopped all contact with everyone, and walks away with our $600, and continues to trade happily on Trademe.

Another clothing item that someone else had bought, had sold on TradeMe just a month prior to her posts on our forum, and still had the same photo up in the auction (which she has now removed, though I was able to get a screenshot before she did so).

All the people that gave her money were buying clothes for their kids, it's our kids that got ripped off.

We've been talking about it amongst ourselves on the forum where it occured, and another person recalled having dealings with this person when they recognised the TM account reganzayn, for example. She too had had something that was supposedly sent to her 'lost in the post' and a claim paid out by NZ Post. At the time she felt something was up and watched reganzayn's feedback, but after a while hadn't seen anything so stopped worrying about it. So She's now gone back and looked over the feedback - and lo and behold, many months down the track, there is her lost in the post stuff. They are unique, one of a kind things, some handmade, and she has been able to contact at least one person who bought one of these items, and it's definately hers - the lost in the post stuff.

Also talking to different people who dealt with her on our forum, she hasn't given everyone the same name. She changes the spelling of her first name, and changes her surname completely, and has an entirely different name associated with one of the email addresses she gave.

There has been some discussion on the TM Messageboard tonight and a fourth TM account name came into the converstation, so people know of her and know she is 'dodgy' from way back, it's just that nobody has had proof up until now. $600 might be small fry in the scale of scams - and it's not even strictly at TM this time (though to my way of thinking, doing false "lost in the post" claims is totally fraudulent), but it's a lot when you're a mum buying your kids clothing. It has been put forward to the police, I guess we just have to leave it their hands now.

Does make me wonder how often fraudulent 'lost in the post' claims are made. You only have to change your name a little bit and change your address (she does this a bit) to make it so NZ Post don't pick up on you.

Clear as mud?? :lol:

ionet
Members

Post by ionet » Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:03 am

_

Photos only show on TM for something less than 2 months, 45-60 days isn't it if not deleted earlier.

How were photos able to be definitely tied into TM trades if the photos on TM and what most would have considered the only link between graphic & trade had disappeared already ?

If the evidence of this going on is so strong, why haven't any of the alleged victims already filed for the alleged thousands ripped off through Disputes Tribunal or at least alerted Post to these matters before now ?

Either way serious allegations are being suggested, which would need fairly substantial proof, rather than mere discussion of thoughts/heresay which may or may not be correct on boards elsewhere..

M
Ultimate Auction Security: Kick 'em in the pants & sweep them under the carpet fast before anyone sees & hope they go away.

Frangipani
Members

Post by Frangipani » Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:12 am

NZ Post alerted - check! (Waiting for their security dept to come back to me - but this isn't big money for them)

NZ Police alerted - check! (But they may not deal with all the losses together, and when you turn up with your story about $30 or $100 lost, the first thing they want to do is to tell you why you shouldn't waste their time. BTDT. Thank goodness for having a family member in fraud :lol: )

She sold me for example, a "Patch Princess" 3/4 length jaquard winter coat, size 3, brand new with tags. I checked her photobucket account, the picture for that item was taken on 3 June 2006 (for example) - photobucket stores all that information about your photos. Check her TM feedback and find she's sold, with auction closing 10 June 2006, a "Patch Princess" 3/4 length jaquard winter coat, size 3, brand new with tags.

I bought eight or nine different things from her, I don't believe it's a coincidence that each of them have an auction tally up like that, and not one of us out of a group of eight/nine have received anything we've paid for. And like I said, another member of our forum has proof that her "lost in the post" items were sold later on in the year - they were one off, hand sewn items. She has spoken to the new owner of at least one item so this can be proven irrefutably.

And the thousands thing - TBH I didn't post that and although I think (from what people on the TM message boards have said) it's probably accurate, it can't be proven. Our loss is just over $600, the other person who had their claim paid out by NZPost received $200 for something that cost her $400 to replace.

I signed up here earlier today because the question I have is, when this happens to Joe Average, and the Police can't help because it's just too small an incident, where can people go and what can they do? Can't go to Disputes Tribunal, it's deliberate fraud and doesn't come under their jurisdiction. We know her name/s, address, phone numbers, bank account numbers, the works. But what does Joe Average do? Just watch this person keep on keeping on, with no way to warn others or stop them? Like I said, I am lucky to have a family member in fraud looking at this, otherwise I'd have no options to stop this person or recoup my losses. Not that I'm actually expecting to recoup my losses but that isn't actually the most important thing TBH.

I should add, the person who had the $400 loss above is a lawyer by trade, so we're all being schooled in being careful about what we say without "proof" and personally, with the things I have lost, I'm confident I have no issue there.

ionet
Members

Post by ionet » Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:27 am

_

What was the other trading site these were listed on ?

M

Frangipani
Members

Post by Frangipani » Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:29 am

(I have edited the forum name out for privacy reasons.) I should add that it's not a trading site per se, but that members are free to offer to trade things amongst each other (so most trades are either for nappies, or kids clothing or similar). The forum doesn't have any part in the trades themselves, more just as a way for people to list their things. Generally people use it because they like the fact that their selling to/buying from people they know personally (though not in this case, lol!).

ionet
Members

Post by ionet » Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:42 am

_

It might be termed fraudulent, but then if those affected then demanded refunds of what was paid / losses and refunds were not forthcoming or ignored, is it still possible to file in Disputes Tribunal for "An Order to Pay" and follow this through with examination etc, if nothing happens ?

Agreed, that smaller amounts can escape the radar or the system wanting to do something about them, but then you do may have a serious alleged pattern of obtaining money by possibly fraudulent means that should warrant closer attention by powers that be

M

Frangipani
Members

Post by Frangipani » Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:45 am

We can only cross fingers that the police or NZ post will see it that way ;-) I mean, I have the paperwork to do a claim for a refund, but I can't (morally) knowingly claim from NZPost for clothes that I know weren't lost in the post. Simple as that.

I guess we'd have to look into the Disputes Tribunal thing. I just read that they don't deal with deliberate fraud - and someone knowingly selling $600 worth of clothing they have already long sold is probably going to be seen as that.

sick_of_dodgy_dealers
Members

Post by sick_of_dodgy_dealers » Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:25 pm

Yes, i was one of the people affected by this also - i deposited money through to Kim/Kym and received absolutely NOTHING in return, no email to say 'yes, i've posted it' no nothing. I've emailed her a number of times on 2 addresses i have for her and have got absolutely zilch reply.

My amount was for $30 and so i know that this will go no-where as the amount is not enough to do anything about - but combined with a large group of us, Kim's gain was substantial.

I just hope that she doesn't find other forums to scam in the same way. I'm being awfully careful aabout making 'trades' now - but I'm sure there are many more unsuspecting victims-to-be out there.

digidog
Site Admin
First Name: Alfie

Post by digidog » Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:13 am

I think in this case that NZ Post's fraud unit may be interested. After all
they are the entity which stands to lose out if everyone filed claims for
lost items.

Well done all of you for sticking to your guns to make sure this crook is
brought to justice. All too often people just write the loss off to experience
but that only encourages the fraudster to set up a new ID and attempt the
same fraud all over again.

HugoJames
Members
First Name: Hugo

Post by HugoJames » Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:16 am

Hi

Did anything ever happen about this? She is now on local facebook pages taking free and gifted items off people and selling them :-(

digidog
Site Admin
First Name: Alfie

Post by digidog » Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:22 pm

Hi Hugo and welcome to ScamBusters.

There's no sign of any legal action being taken against this trader. TM have left both of her accounts alive, though popeye01 hasn't traded since 2014 and her reganzayn account last traded in 2011. Of course it's quite possible that she has other TM accounts we're not aware of. People with shocking feedback like this often open multiple TradeMe accounts.

While accepting free items via Facebook and reselling them for profit may be morally reprehensible, it's not illegal. The best you can do is to make others aware of this person's trading history. After that, I'm afraid it's buyer beware.