24/7 Hosting in Christchurch

Nigerian scams, chain letters, pyramid schemes and anything not auction related.
jacob22
Members
First Name: Jacob

Re: 24/7 Hosting in Christchurch

Post by jacob22 » Mon May 26, 2014 3:26 am

I am a hobby web developer who has a few websites that I look after for Canterbury businesses.
I was with Eleven2.com for a long time but in the last two or three years they have ballooned in size and their actual hosting service was plagued with downtime.
In February this year, I found 24/7 Hosting, which seemed perfect for me - server located in Christchurch, super fast connection for me, my clients and their customers, and good pricing for New Zealand hosting.

What helped seal the deal for me, was the advertising for 'AA Smartfuel' posted all over the 24/7 Hosting website. I figured if they were an affiliate of that scheme, then they must be a reasonably big and reputable company.
I paid for 1 year hosting, and entered my Smartfuel card number and never received the promised 5c discount. I now tend to think that they have just put that there to sound better yet probably have no affiliation at all with AA Smartfuel... another shoddy business tactic.

However, my hosting account with them has been pretty good - I guess their website is all automated so no human at the other end has had any involvement with my account but my sites are hosted and work super fast and I've never had any downtime.
I tried to post a ticket asking about my AA Smartfuel discount but my ticket got deleted... lol...

I never knew there was any issues with 24/7 Hosting until I got the email (below) from them this morning. Then I googled their name and sure enough, so many negative comments.
Damn... I have bad luck as it's not the first online NZ business I've had problems with (PC Gear Dunedin - spent a year dealing with them and the Commerce Commission).

This is the email that 24/7 Hosting have sent out today:
Dear Customer,
Many of you have suffered poor service at the hands of 24/7 Hosting NZ over the past three weeks. In the worst cases – and there are many of them – this service has been completely absent.

We know that this has impacted our client base personally and professionally. We know that much speculation has been swirling in the New Zealand news media, and overseas. We know that we have a huge clean-up task on our hands, to put things right for you.
The management structure and ownership of 24/7 Hosting NZ has been urgently reviewed. A formal announcement will be made early this week.
Meanwhile, we have refreshed our team with experienced and capable staff who will be working through every support request with urgency. We understand that for some this will be too little, too late. To all of you, we very sincerely and humbly apologise.
In the long term, we hope to find ways to make things right. Immediately, our focus is on restoring a stable and reliable service.

As some contact methods are still down, please submit enquiries via either:
- e-mail to support@247hosting.co.nz
- our support ticketing system, at https://support.247hosting.co.nz/clientarea.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

We will be responding to all enquiries as soon as possible. Your patience is appreciated.

Yours truly,

The team at 24/7 Hosting NZ.

jacob22
Members

Post by jacob22 » Wed May 28, 2014 1:52 am

And to further update:
We were recently alerted to 24/7’s lack or service and response to its customers and have as a result terminated our agreement with them and they no longer can issue AA Smartfuel Discounts.

This will be advised to our cardholders in our fortnightly email being issued later this week and we are also working to have 24/7 remove all AA Smartfuel branding from their website as clearly it’s misleading.

We appreciate you contacting us to advise of your concerns and reiterate that 24/7 Hosting no longer participates in the AA Smartfuel programme despite currently still promoting this online.

digidog
Site Admin
First Name: Alfie

Post by digidog » Wed May 28, 2014 4:12 am

This TV3 story is from Friday but it contains new info which is worth posting here.
Voyager chief executive Seeby Woodhouse has been trying to contact the owner for a month to recover unpaid bills and says there has been no response.

"We register around 100,000 domain names through a bunch of different brands, but this is probably the worst case [we've seen]," he told 3 News today.

"Because 24/7 hasn’t been paying their bills and because we don't know where they are, we don't know if the guy will log in and delete all the sites.

"The power's going to get disconnected so there's definitely not a lot of time before all that goes down."

Voyager has supplied around 6000 domains to 24/7 Hosting over the years and recently emailed every one, urging them to leave the service.

"We've taken the unusual step of saying 'by the way, although you paid 24/7 for your domain name, they paid us to register it'," Mr Woodhouse says.

http://www.3news.co.nz/Thousands-of-NZ- ... fault.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

bert9
Members
First Name: bert

Post by bert9 » Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:44 am

Hello all,

Anyone keeping up with the 24/7 Hosting ongoing farce?

http://facebook.com/247hostingnz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I was unaware of trouble until my email went offline around the 23 June. After contacting them and getting no reply, I found all of my domains had expired a couple of weeks before despite having been paid for until September. I understand it's a very familiar story for 247 Hosting by now. There was a story about a hardware fault, which was then claimed to be fixed, but people are still having trouble and as far as I can tell the "hardware fault" was most likely a bunch of expired domains. Some people are also getting "out of space" messages on their accounts, suggesting 247 Hosting have not paid for appropriate server space from the datacentre?

Around a month ago they claim to have come under new ownership, 'Revolve Technologies', of which 'Melanie-rose Louise Skidmore' is the director (from the companies register). Some comments on the Facebook page claim they have been using 24/7's 'live chat' with 'melanie', but as far as I have seen there is no mention of anyone speaking to her on the phone, and the claimed phone numbers they have set up (an 03 and an 0800 number) apparently do not work (or no one answers), also according to comments on their facebook page.

So that's enough to raise suspicions, but now having gone through 24/7 Hosting's history on these boards, I'm not convinced that 'Melanie' is a real person. I can't find any other evidence of her online. What do you people think? 'Caleb Finlay', director of Klib Technologies, claimed former owner of 24/7 Hosting, now has his address as in Australia. I'm having a hard time believing any of this. All the behaviour is the same. How easy is it to lie to the companies register in New Zealand? Do directors need to show proof of identity or can anyone just sign the form and scan and send it back??? I think this ongoing 24/7 Hosting scam is making a farce out of the companies register.

digidog
Site Admin

Post by digidog » Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:13 am

bert9 wrote:How easy is it to lie to the companies register in New Zealand? Do directors need to show proof of identity or can anyone just sign the form and scan and send it back??? I think this ongoing 24/7 Hosting scam is making a farce out of the companies register.
Anyone can enter information on the Companies Office website so I wouldn't necessarily take "the new ownership" as being authentic.

We know of a lot of former 24/7 users who have switched over to http://webhostdirect.co.nz/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - I have no connection with that company other than as a happy customer. I can highly recommend their service.

miffedc
Members
First Name: Sam

Post by miffedc » Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:47 am

Melanie IS a real person, but it is debatable she has anything to do with 24/7 other than having her name under Revolve. The company address for Revolve is current. Caleb is/was her partner, this is why I think it is unlikely she is running it now. I suspect he may be running it from Oz and she is just the scapegoat. Albeit an obviously very gullible one...

noname
Members
First Name: Gemma

Post by noname » Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:11 am

Without going into too much detail I can confirm Melanie-Rose is a real person. However, she is the partner (or was) of Caleb Finlay... so nothing much would have changed.

Caleb's not in Australia, he's in NZ... somewhere where it's basically impossible to run a business from...

Stay far away from this company and cut your losses and move on.

crazyone
Members
First Name: John

Post by crazyone » Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:30 am

There has been talk about young Caleb being in lockup - this has come from a number of different people now.

digidog
Site Admin

Post by digidog » Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:05 am

crazyone wrote:There has been talk about young Caleb being in lockup
Hi John... while that scenario would explain the site being unattended and emails being ignored, do you have any evidence of this? There should be court records if it's true. We prefer to avoid defamation on these forums and would appreciate your response. Thanks.

digidog
Site Admin

Post by digidog » Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:30 am

I've just discovered that this thread has been removed from Google searches because of a DMCA claim by one Colleen Kike from Australia. Here's the text.

http://www.chillingeffects.org/notice.cgi?sID=652742" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Reading Colleen's DMCA complaint it's pretty obvious that she didn't intend Google to take this action and is actually another disgruntled former 24/7 client. Lord knows why she cited this thread as an "Allegedly infringing URL" when her "Original Thread" is only a single post of her own experience with 24/7. In the modern age, it's fascinating to see how Google reacted to this complaint without the slightest glance at the material in question. Even Google isn't perfect I guess.

I've filed a counter-notification with Google.

And Colleen... if you're reading this, please get in touch. Because we're all on the same side. Thanks!

bert9
Members

Post by bert9 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:49 pm

digidog wrote:Lord knows why she cited this thread as an "Allegedly infringing URL" when her "Original Thread" is only a single post of her own experience with 24/7.
Is it possible somebody was trying to remove this thread from google searches on purpose? ....

bert9
Members

Post by bert9 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:03 pm

noname wrote:Without going into too much detail I can confirm Melanie-Rose is a real person. However, she is the partner (or was) of Caleb Finlay... so nothing much would have changed.

Caleb's not in Australia, he's in NZ... somewhere where it's basically impossible to run a business from...

Sorry but this post just sounds weird.

NZ Websites
Members
First Name: Bruce

Post by NZ Websites » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:44 pm

bert9 wrote:
noname wrote:Without going into too much detail I can confirm Melanie-Rose is a real person. However, she is the partner (or was) of Caleb Finlay... so nothing much would have changed.

Sorry but this post just sounds weird.
Not weird at all. If you read behind the words in that post, the only logical source for such garbage would be either the perpetrator, or someone in cohorts, attempting to dissuade any further action against him.

Treat with disdain!
Visit us for Low-Cost and Free website hosting, at www.webhostdirect.co.nz

digidog
Site Admin

Post by digidog » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:31 pm

bert9 wrote:Is it possible somebody was trying to remove this thread from google searches on purpose? ....
Normally I'd say yes, but the poster has put up a page devoted to ctiticising 24/7 so that's unlikely.

jacob22
Members

Post by jacob22 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:44 am

Can anyone else actually access 24/7 hosting anymore?
I had a hosting plan with them and despite finding out about their issues my websites hadn't gone down so I just left them for as long as it lasts (turned out to be a few months) - but it has gone down now and I can't access 24/7 hostings main website or cPanel login.
Luckily I had already prepared for that so was less than a day of downtime moving to a new supplier, but if 24/7 hosting is down now then at least theres no worries of anyone else accidentally signing up.

I feel for the people that paid for domain registrations and got billed but their domains lapsed. :(
At least I got off easy, just lost 6 months of hosting I paid for.