24/7 Hosting in Christchurch

Nigerian scams, chain letters, pyramid schemes and anything not auction related.
digidog
Site Admin
First Name: Alfie

Re: 24/7 Hosting in Christchurch

Post by digidog » Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:09 am

LauraTulloch wrote:What do you think of my idea below ie setting up an international association under something like Interpol?
I think it's overkill. There are probably 1,000+ companies offering web hosting in NZ and 99.999% of them are fine. I understand that the failure of 24/7 has hurt you, but imposing some sort of international police control on every hosting company in the world? It's not only too ambitious but it's way over the top in the circumstances.

a) It's not required for 99.999% of hosting companies, and

b) you'd have trouble getting hundreds of countries to agree with the concept.

We're only talking about a single entity here - one badly run company. Under NZ law you have a legal right to go after the owner/s of 24/7 for compensation and recovery of any costs incurred. I'd suggest that the Disputes Tribunal would be the correct venue. Whether Caleb has any funds to settle a dispute is moot, but at least you would have the satisfaction of winning the case. Because frankly, you couldn't lose.

LauraTulloch
Members
First Name: Laura

Post by LauraTulloch » Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:18 am

Hi digidog

Thanks for your feedback.

Rather than imposing something, it would be better to invite web hosters to join an association which would make them look kosher by being a member - do you see what I mean? Many industries in NZ and the world do this, i.e. Master Builders' Association etc

Why do you think other countries would not want to agree to the concept, as it would encourage all web hosters to deliver great service plus make it easier for customers to choose an authentic, reputable business?

There's no point going to the Small Claims Court or Disputes Tribunal as fraudsters don't pay. Also this is something many small businesses don't have the time, money or energy to pursue.

No worries if you don't agree with my idea. No doubt you've been in this game for much longer than me, making your opinion well informed. 8-)

My next step after Fair Go is to approach the Minister of Communications and Information Technology Amy Adams, asking her what she plans to do about preventing future possible conduct like that of 24/7 Hosting.

Would you mind if I updated this thread with this and any other ongoing activity as there may be others who are interested to know.

Foggyone
Site Admin
First Name: Peter

Post by Foggyone » Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:17 pm

Hi Laura. We would be happy if you have further information to post on this.

Good luck, but bear in mind that with the pending election the Minister of Communications and Information Technology will be employed full time with the campaign, and after the election the new Government may elect to assign this portfolio to another. So, until the new Government is in place don't expect any action from this source.
Google, the answer to so many questions!
-----------------------------------------------------

LauraTulloch
Members
First Name: Laura

Post by LauraTulloch » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:45 pm

Hey Foggyone
This is a very good point - I'll put it on the backburner for the time being.

digidog
Site Admin
First Name: Alfie

Post by digidog » Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:55 am

I guess the other tip I could add is always back up your site. You can do this via the cpanel on most hosts and include your database data in a full site backup. It's a great habit to get into.