Gmail's spam filters are buggered - official!

Nigerian scams, chain letters, pyramid schemes and anything not auction related.
digidog
Site Admin
First Name: Alfie

Gmail's spam filters are buggered - official!

Post by digidog » Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:19 am

When good spam filters go bad. Linux guru Linus Torvalds has published an open letter to Google.
Dear Google Mail Team,

I've said very nice things about your spam filter in the past, but I'm afraid I am going to have to take it all back. I'm currently going through the spam for the last week, and have gone through about a third of it.

Something you did recently has been an unmitigated disaster. Of the roughly 1000 spam threads I've gone through so far, right now 228 threads were incorrectly marked as spam.

That's not the 0.1% false positive rate you tried to make such a big deal about last week. No. That's over 20% of my spambox being real emails with patches and pull requests. Almost a quarter!

I don't know how to even describe the level of brokenness in those kinds of spam numbers. There were a few pages of email (I've got it set up so it shows me 50 threads per page) where more than half of the "spam" wasn't.

Quite frankly, that sucks. It's not acceptable. Whatever you started doing a few days ago is completely and utterly broken.
While I run my own mailserver, I've noticed in recent months that some of my emails to Gmail addresses are often identified as spam. Given the number of people who use Gmail these days, this is a major problem which Google needs to address urgently.

Another source for reference